Our employees play an important role in protecting personal information. Our employees are required to adhere to this policy and take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is protected from unauthorized access.
Collection of Personal Information
Canadian privacy legislation defines “personal information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, “personal information” means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking personal information does not include what is considered business contact information generally found on a business card (i.e. name, title, business number, business fax number, business e-mail address, etc.).
Although the CCA deals commonly with other companies and in those cases does not collect personal information, we also deal with individual customers. We collect the personal information of our individual customers in administering the following:
- CCA’s “Gold Seal Certification Program”
- Registration for CCA’s conferences/meetings
- Technical support for CCA’s electronic construction documents
For the purposes of administering the “Gold Seal Certification Program”, the CCA collects the following types of personal information:
- residential telephone number;
- email address;
- mailing address;
- employer name;
- employer contact information;
- work history;
- education and training history;
- past certifications;
- name of regional association individual is a member of;
- name of discipline in which individual received certification;
- individual’s Gold Seal Certification Exam results.
When individual customers register for CCA conferences/meetings we may collect the following types of personal information:
- spouse’s name;
- children’s name(s);
- home address, telephone number, and fax number;
- e-mail address;
- dietary requirements; and
- credit card information.
For the purposes of providing technical support to users of CCA’s electronic construction documents, the CCA may collect the following types of personal information:
- e-mail address;
- registration number
Use of Personal Information
The personal information collected by the CCA is used for the following purposes:
- to contact the individual for instruction;
- to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments;
- to send CCA conference/meeting enrollment confirmation;
- to plan and arrange for needs while in attendance at a CCA conference/meeting;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide CCA’s products and services;
- to include you on our mailing list for CCA bulletins and event notices;
- to administer CCA’s “Gold Seal Certification Program”;
- to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions;
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
We only collect personal information directly from the individual except when we have the individual’s consent to collect information from elsewhere or are permitted by law to collect it without the individual’s consent.
We use an individual’s personal information strictly for the purposes outlined above. If we need to use the personal information for any other purpose we will contact the individual and obtain consent prior to that use.
Disclosure of Personal Information
From time to time, the CCA may disclose your personal information to:
- service providers, including an organization or individual retained by CCA to perform functions on its behalf, such as catering, marketing, data processing, printing, mailing, document management, and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by the CCA to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with negotiating payment of an account to which you have consented; and
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
An individual has the right to withdraw consent for our collection, use or disclosure of their personal information at any time. However, if an individual does so it may affect his/her ability to participate in programs and/or receive services provided by the CCA. If an individual wishes to withdraw consent, or has any questions about withdrawing consent, he or she can contact our Privacy Officer.
Business contact information is not protected by this policy. This type of information is not considered to be personal information and may be collected, used and disclosed without consent.
Storage of Personal Information
The CCA has appropriate safeguards in place to protect personal information. The CCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your personal information are:
- premises security;
- restricted file access to personal information;
- technological safeguards such as security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access;
internal password and security policies;
- proper training of CCA’s employees in respect of privacy matters.
Accuracy of Personal Information
We try to keep personal information as accurate as possible and individuals can assist us by providing us with updated information when necessary. Information can be updated by contacting CCA Privacy Officer and President Mary Van Buren.
Retention of Personal Information
We only keep personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes outlined above. This may include keeping the information after a service or program has been completed in order to resolve any problems or concerns that may arise. We are also required by law to maintain certain records for set amounts of time.
Individuals have the right to access the personal information we hold about them. You can access your personal information by making a request to our Privacy Officer. The Officer will provide the necessary forms and assistance to make the request and obtain the information. If you believe that some of the personal information is incorrect you can request that the information be corrected.
The CCA may charge an individual for minimal out-of-pocket expenses in responding to an access request. If we decide that a charge is appropriate we will provide you with a written estimate prior to providing access. Any concerns with the estimated charge should be directed to our Privacy Officer.
We apply our best efforts to protect your privacy. If an individual has any concerns they are free to contact our Privacy Officer. We hope that the Officer will be able to resolve any problems. If concerns are not resolved, the Officer can provide information on making a formal complaint.
If you apply for employment at the CCA, we will require your personal information, as part of our review process. We normally retain information from candidates after a decision has been made, unless you ask us not to retain the information. If we offer you a job, which you accept, the information will be retained in accordance with our privacy procedures for employee records.
On our website, like most other commercial websites, we may monitor traffic patterns, site usage and related site information in order to optimize our web service. We may provide aggregated information to third parties, but these statistics do not include any identifiable personal information.
Canadian Construction Association
Chief Privacy Officer
1900-275 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H9
Email: Mary Van Buren
Tel: (613) 236-9455 ext. 414
Fax: (613) 236-9526